Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Wiki

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Wiki
On 26/07/10 09:50, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Although I was aware of the changeover, I rather assumed that all the
> equivalent protection and spam prevention methods would be implemented on
> the new one. Perhaps that was naive of me. As you say, the AbuseMod patches
> weren't perfect they did a reasonably good job of keeping the wiki in
> order.

Indeed, I had thought there was a good chance that given MoinMoin is
used by Debian, Ubuntu, Apache and more, that it would be relatively
spam-free out-of-the-box, or if not out-of-the-box, then plugins would
surely exist to address spam. I'm not sure this has been born out. Or
perhaps we just see a lot more spammers as a result of using more
popular wiki software.

MoinMoin offers a content blacklist[1], and this is supposed to be
automatically updating from MoinMoin's servers. There is also a local
list[2], which is the one we are supposed to edit. There is a textcha
system in Moin that we could try.

Personally I'd support switching to registration as a requirement for
posting, as it's a more complete registration system than Usemod and
less likely to have false negatives than some of the other heuristics
that were applied to Abusemod.

If necessary, I could port the Abusemod patches.

Dan

[1] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/wiki/BadContent
[2] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/wiki/LocalBadContent