Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

> One word of warning - DO NOT use clamd.

Well, I'd disagree with that. I use clamd on all my mail gateways, and
find it very useful indeed. It is rather resource-intensive, though, so I
tend to run it last...

> clamd's features are nice in principle but far too many MSP's seem to have
> only PFY's who simply switch everything on and "hope for the best".

As with any powerful tool - use it incorrectly, and bad things will occur.

> My postfix mailserver has a 4 day timeout and a number of US and UK MSP's
> are hitting this limit due to greylisting.

I don't use clamd for greylisting. If I ever bother with GL[1], I'll use
something like smf-grey. ClamAV is about virus/worm prevention; I like my
tools to do one thing and do it well.

I don't have the sort of problem you're describing, though - how are you
getting 4-day timeouts through greylisting?

Vic.

[1] I never got round to implementing greylisting, but I suspect it has
now passed its peak. I've already seen spam senders repeating themselves -
the spam bots are already starting to work around greylisting[2]. As this
becomes more prevalent, greylisting will become ever less protective.

[2] The spam bots are also starting to work around SPF filtering by
sending from non-forged addresses. This is actually a win for the good
guys - if we can lessen the amount of email forgery, all sorts of problems
become much reduced. This is actually what SPF is for - its effect against
spam is merely accidental.