Re: [Hampshire] Scanner recommendations

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Scanner recommendations
On 29/08/10 12:43, Jack Knight wrote:

> On 29/08/10 11:20, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a scanner suitable for a non-techy Ubuntu user?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith
>>
>> --
>> Please post to:Hampshire@???
>>
> Hello Keith.
>
> Almost any HP network or USB printer will install with minimal
> intervention on a modern Linux distro. Also Epson are very well supported.
>
> However, in general I'd recommend checking out support for specific
> models before you buy at:
> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
>
> Also look at the cost of ink/toner replacements before you look only
> at the cost of the printer! This can make a massive difference to the
> running costs.
>
> Good luck.

Now I've realised I answered a question you didn't ask, duhh, apologies
for that. Now let's try to answer the one you did ask. The scanner
equivalent of the above pages is at:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

If you want something portable and for less frequent use, I use a
Plustek M12 OpticSlim M12 A4 USB Scanner which fits in my laptop bag,
very handy for taking onto client sites where I don't have use of a scanner.

If you want something with a sheet feeder it's probably worth
considering a multifunction device such as the HP officejet range. Or
Trust make a pretty nice slim flatbed model which a guy I know in work
uses with Ubuntu.

Next time I'll try to remember to read the question properly before
launching into an answer ;^)