Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.
Hello all,

On 20/09/10 17:12, Michael Pavling wrote:
> On 20 September 2010 17:08, Michael Burrows<TESTERMIKE@???> wrote:
>> I have been asked by a friend to deploy a NAS/Domain Controller on some old hardware for a small realty business (I dont there access from outside the LAN is needed).
>>
>> I have something running successful here in my home but was wondering if there was a better plan. Ubuntu Server for example.
>>
>> Any suggestions gratefully entertained.
> Could be worth looking at SME Server
> (http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page) - covers lots of the essentials
> "out of the box" as it were, with very little config or management
> needed.

I've had some doings with the SME server project in the past, and it's
an excellent distribution. If you don't mind the RedHat (in this case
CentOS) underpinnings (and qmail as the MTA instead of sendmail or
postfix), then SME is a good choice. As an Ubuntu-based alternative, try
Zentyal (used to be called eBox) over here:
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Document/Index
I'm confident that both these distros will do it for you, and then some!

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins