Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.

Author: Michael Burrows
To: jan, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.

> On 20/09/10 17:12, Michael Pavling wrote:
>> On 20 September 2010 17:08, Michael Burrows<TESTERMIKE@???> wrote:
>>> I have been asked by a friend to deploy a NAS/Domain Controller on some old hardware for a small realty business (I dont there access from outside the LAN is needed).
>>>
>>> I have something running successful here in my home but was wondering if there was a better plan. Ubuntu Server for example.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions gratefully entertained.

Hello Folks

Thanks for the advice so far. Things have developed a bit. They only really want the file server. hanging off their office LAN. I only have experience with debian and then mainly through GUIs, which rules out other distros and also Ubuntu server (don't have time to learn how to set samba up using command line).

I have installed ubuntu and will set it up as just another client that they can store files on. However, I note that the box comprises two 40 gig sata drives. Question... is it worth/simple to raid it in ubuntu or debian? I'll of course check that out but in the meantime, a simple "don't bother" will save me effort :)

Thanks
Mike