Re: [Hampshire] Grub / boot issue

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Grub / boot issue

> It is pretty much as created and maintained by the Ubuntu install, so
> having
> removed the majority of the comments to keep it short:
>
> default         0
> timeout         3
> hiddenmenu
> ## ## End Default Options ##

> title           Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-21-server
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-server root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
> splash
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-server
> quiet

OK, so it's unlikely to be a UUID problem.

The first thing I'd do is get rid of the "quiet" and "splash" options.
That might show you a bit more of what's going on. It might be an idea to
increase the timeout value as well - make sure there's enough time for the
screen to catch up.

I guess you've already checked that /dev/md0 is actually functional - if
the mirror is degraded, one of the partitions is unlikely to boot.

It's worth checking fdisk-s output there are no other partitions as well -
it's quite embarrassing to find you're not booting from the partition you
thought you were (not that I'd ever do that, oh no).

Errr - that's about all that occurs to me at present. Let us know if
anything comes from the above :-)

Vic.