Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 18:15, John Cooper <lug@???> wrote:
> On 17/10/10 17:41, Tim wrote:
>>
>> I have a PC that is failing to boot, it is giving 1 long and 3 short
>> beeps.
>
> Scott Mueller's book says for AMI BIOS POST "conventional/extended memory
> error - clean memory contacts and reset the modules. Remove all modules
> except first bank. Replace the memory, power supply and motherboard".

I actually had an issue with this just the other day. I too have been
brought up with the assumption that the sequence means memory issue.
It turns out that my graphics card had slid out of it's socket
slightly and thus had a partial connection. Reseating the card allowed
the system to boot with no more issues.

--
Regards,
    The Honeymonster aka Daniel Llewellyn