Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point

Author: Mark Johnson
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point
On Sunday 07 Nov 2010 10:40:10 Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Before you do anything I would have a look at the rules to see if it is
> naughty, see if anyone else is doing it and take precautions like turning
> off the SSID broadcast on the AP and using dd-wrt's "MAC address clone"
> function to clone the MAC address of the wired Ethernet port on your son's
> laptop in case they scan the network looking for unauthorised APs.

Obviously each university's going to have a different setup, but this step
would have been absolutely necessary at my uni, as you had to register your
MAC address with your room number to get online, and were only allowed 1 MAC
per room.

I'd be suprised if it wasn't a breach of the uni's AUP for users to hook up
their own networking equipment, so I'd speak to them rather than risk him
getting kicked off the network, but that's just the sysadmin in my head trying
to be heard ;-)

Cheers
Mark