Re: [Hampshire] Notebook remix Linux distro

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Notebook remix Linux distro
On 7 November 2010 21:18, Vic <lug@???> wrote:

> > So this is still fedora but with LXDE window manager included
> > instead of KDE or gnome?
> >
> > I can only find brief information which seems to indicate it is
> > the latest fedora with the latest LXDE WM and no further
> > optimisations.
>
> Fedora seems quite happy in limited RAM. I'm running it on a Latitude C510
> laptop - that's an 850MHz P3 with 256MB.
>
> It's not fabulous, but it's certainly usable. 256MB is a bit stingy...

I'll echo what Vic said. It's just got LXDE as the default WM, and it's a
"minimal" install. To be honest it's not that minimal! You've still got
access to all the Fedora repositories, so extra software is just a click
away. However, beware of gnome apps dragging in loads of dependencies.
These will eat up disk space.

To free up some space I did play a bit with partitioning. The installer
refuses to proceed unless you have a swap partition. I subsequently deleted
it and extended the filesystem. It now runs better as there is more free
space on the 4GB flash and upgrades/updates don't fail due to inadequate
space.

I did install Chromium which isn't in Fedora due to licensing/copyright.
It's a better bet for small screens than Firefox as it has less decoration.
Firefox may well be configurable to allow maximum use of screen real
estate, but Chromium did it out of the box.

I use it for web-browsing so a browser is all I need. Anything else is a
nice extra!

Graeme