Re: [Hampshire] Linux and GNU

Author: John Cooper
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux and GNU
On 11/11/10 13:33, Vic wrote:

> The GNU/Linux debate is long settled. The proper term is "GNU/Linux". Few
> people but Stallman really care if you just call it "Linux". But getting
> upset because someone used the correct terminology is decidedly bizarre...

I'm not the only one. Unix and Linux Sys admin book (fourth edition) p8,
saying that using the term GNU/Linux has its own political baggage, only
officially endorsed by the Debian distro.

Linux is the kernel, OS and distro to most people. It correctly
identifies the core which makes it different to others. Linux also
describes the movement which embraces free, open source software like
GNU. I don't use the term GNU/Linux and I certainly don't want to see
others thinking that is the correct term, as the majority don't use it.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk