Re: [Hampshire] Linux and GNU

Author: John Cooper
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux and GNU
On 11/11/10 14:38, Vic wrote:

> It *is* the correct term. Your repeated assertions that you think Linux is
> more important than GNU are pointless; the software we both espouse
> comprises both Linux portions and GNU portions. Trying to redefine Linux
> to be more than it is is simply an exercise in obfuscation; Linux is the
> kernel, and a kernel is not sufficient to form an OS, necessary though it
> be.

The book is correct. It is what the Linux community use. Linux is the
kernel, the term is generally used to describe the OS, distro and the
movement. That is my opinion and I and many others do not use or feel
that GNU/Linux is appropriate in today's world. Linux has grown to be
more than the kernel.

John.