Re: [Hampshire] Live streaming

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: testermike
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Live streaming
Hi Mike,

Mike Burrows wrote:
> On 11/25/10 4:52 AM, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>> Mike Burrows wrote:
>>> Has anybody out there any experience on streaming live audio using
>>> shoutcast. I can stream an mp3 file from my linux box using shoutcast
>>> but I am at a dead end on how to convert and stream a live feed. Kinda
>>> like the beeb for example.
>>
>> We use icecast for streaming the live recordings of the Ubuntu Podcast
>> from the UK LoCo [1]. The output of the mixer is connected to the input
>> of
>> the sound card on the computer, which in turn feeds it into the icecast
>> client which converts it to MP3 and sends it to the icecast server.
>>
>> You could simply connect a microphone to the input of your sound card
>> and
>> stream using that as your audio source.
>>
> Thanks Tony. I'll take a look at icecast. Do you know if there is a
> shoutcast client that does the A to D conversion from the input on the
> sound card? I have the feed running well now using winamp and its source
> dsp plugin. (Relayed by my linux server using the shoutcast management
> interface for grins.) Its the role of the winamp plugin that I cannot
> figure out for linux.

OK, so if I understand what you're trying to achieve correctly, it's this:

Mic -> Soundcard -> Shoutcast client -> Shoutcast server -> Internet

It's simply a matter of configuring the shoutcast client to use the
microphone port on the sound card as its source: The sound card handles
the A-D conversion. For example, using the ices2 icecast client, you
configure the sound device and sample rate etc.

Our implementation of this set up looks like this:

Mics/other sources -> Mixer -> Soundcard -> JACK -> IDJC -> Icecast server
-> Internet

IDJC has an integrated icecast client, so that covers that need. JACK is
just in there to complicate things a bit; other clients access the sound
card's resources directly.

HTH,

Tony