Re: [Hampshire] Running a script that needs to do a rooty th…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Running a script that needs to do a rooty thing
On 29 November 2010 04:59, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson@???> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Victor Churchill
> <victorchurchill@???> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been asked to make a Perl script that does some stuff with
> Apache's
> > config (adds a virtual host) and then does an apache2ctl graceful to tell
> > Apache to re-read its config files.
>
> Sounds like the sort of thing that would be well handled with Puppet /
> Chef / CFengine. Appreciate that may be over kill, but it's something
> to consider. Doing this with a Perl script is a bit of a smell to me.
>
> But you an do anything in Perl ;-)

It is interesting that this comment has come up a couple of times. The boss
has this idea in mind that he intends to provide this capability to the end
user/customer so that they can do some of their own admin; so the
requirement came down de facto 'we need a perl script to do this'. I had not
really thought of it as a CMS related kind of task, but am not at all
familiar with cfengine et al so should probably take a look. I don't think
much more is envisaged but these things often come back and bite you.

By the way, the sudoers approach did work. I got some misleading errors
complaining about
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 28 <<<

which eventually I saw were due to a missing newline at the end of the file
;.-)

S.