[Hampshire] [Apress December 2010 Newsletter]

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] [Apress December 2010 Newsletter]
Hello,

This may be of interest.

----- Forwarded message from Apress <newsletters@???> -----

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:43:16 -0800
From: Apress <newsletters@???>
To: adam.trickett@???
Subject: Apress December 2010 Newsletter

*** Apress December 2010 Newsletter ***

2010 is coming to a close and the holidays are in full swing.
Apress has some development and design gems that are sure to take
your skills to the next level as you head into the new year.
Whether you’re creating a mobile application for fun, for profit,
or both, Windows Phone 7 is shaking up the smartphone application
landscape! Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development by Henry Lee and
Eugene Chuvyrov serves as your companion as you create dazzling,
stylish applications that can handle, manage, and share music,
videos, and photos on this brand-new and exciting platform.
Moreover, Windows Phone 7 has huge gaming potential. With Windows
Phone 7 Game Development, by Adam Dawes, .NET developers will
have everything that they need to maximize their creativity and
produce fun, sophisticated games with XNA and Silverlight
technologies.

If you’re trying to get your website up and running for the
holiday buying season, make dynamic web design easy with the
second edition of David Powers’ bestselling book, PHP Solutions.
Thoroughly updated with the latest techniques and best practices,
PHP Solutions starts at ground level, showing you how to set up
PHP then moves into solutions, which most PHP web designers and
developers are likely to meet in 2011.

***

The definitive guide to the latest PHP techniques, innovations,
and best practices

PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy, Second Edition
by David Powers
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430232498

In PHP Solutions, Second Edition by David Powers, you start at
ground level learning you how to set up PHP, how to write scripts
, and how you can include them in your web pages. This edition
has been thoroughly updated with the latest techniques and best
practices to provide cleaner, more efficient code that can be
easily deployed on multiple sites.

***

Develop cutting-edge apps and games for Windows Phone 7

Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development
by Henry Lee, Eugene Chuvyrov
eBook Now Available, Print Available 12/15
http://apress.com/book/view/1430232161

Windows Phone 7 Game Development
by Adam Dawes
eBook Available 12/19, Print Available 12/27
http://apress.com/book/view/1430233060

***

Latest Books

    * The Definitive Guide to SQLite, Second Edition

    * Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in the Python
      Language

    * Pro Internet Explorer 8 & 9 Development: Developing
      Powerful Applications for The Next Generation of IE

    * PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy, Second Edition

    * Pro ASP.NET 4 in VB 2010, Third Edition

Forthcoming Books

    * Introducing Visual C# 2010

    * Beginning Arduino

    * Winning Design! LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Design Patterns for Fun
      and Competition

    * Droids Made Simple: For the Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, and
      Droid 2 Global

    * DOM Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document
      Object Model, Second Edition

Best-sellers

1. Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform, Fifth Edition
2. iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners
3. Taking Your iPad to the Max
4. Pro ASP.NET MVC 2 Framework, Second Edition
5. Pro Silverlight 4 in C#

***

Conference News and Notes:

PASS Summit 2010 November 8th-12th

PASS Summit 2010 in Seattle, WA offered the highest number of
technical sessions and best speakers in the world, and the SQL
Server community delivered with a record number of attendees. Our
extensive line of SQL Server 2008 books for the Kindle, Nook, and
iPad were available for event goers at our eBook reader kiosks
making it clear we have the electronic format for your device of
choice. SQL Azure, everything R2, and the impending SQL Server
2011 release dominated the session discussions—Apress will be
sure to have a full line of books to follow suit next year!

360|MacDev December 10-11

Apress is a proud sponsor of 360|MacDev, the only conference
focused solely on the Mac Developer Community. This exciting
2-day conference, which takes place December 10-11 in Denver, CO,
is packed with tons of inspiring sessions lead by successful
developers of notable Mac Apps. No other event offers sessions at
this technical level. 360|MacDev combines awesome networking
opportunities with invaluable sessions that inform and encourage
growth and innovation in the Mac Desktop software community.
Apress newsletter subscribers receive an exclusive 40% off
discount! Simply use the code “ApressRocks” when registering
here: http://360macdev.eventbrite.com

***

Build rich media applications using the latest Silverlight
technology

Pro Silverlight 4 in C#
by Matthew MacDonald
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430229799

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Great Lakes Area .NET User Group (GANG)

The Great Lakes Area .NET User Group was founded in November 2001
by John Hopkins, Darrell Hawley, and Martin Shoemaker to provide
educational and networking resources for local .NET developers in
response to the lack of an organized .NET community in Michigan.

GANG was the first technology focused user group formed in
Michigan and was one of the first user groups to join INETA. GANG
has been an active Apress User Group Program member since 2004
and meets monthly at the Microsoft Southfield office. The group’s
meetings includes presentations that covers a wide range of
topics, from details of the framework to the soft skills involved
in managing projects. GANG is a volunteer-driven,
developer-focused organization, which welcomes all developers
from the Ann Arbor area. Check out their calendar for details on
upcoming meetings.

New York Oracle User Group (NYOUG)

The New York Oracle User Group is gearing up for the 2010 NYC
Metro Area Oracle Metro Day event taking place on December 8,
2010 in NYC at the New Yorker Hotel. Apress is proud to be
exhibiting at this one day conference along with Oracle, IBM
Systems, EMC, SENA Systems, Texas Memory Systems, and TUSC.

This year’s keynote will be given by Andy Mendelsohn, Oracle
Senior VP, and will cover the benefits of upgrading to Oracle
Database 11g. Attendees will learn how to reduce IT costs and
increase the quality of service for all their enterprise. Click
here to view the agenda and click here to register for the event.
Act now because Friday, December 3 is the last day to register
for this exciting event!

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what’s hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

We do not send unsolicited newsletters. You received this because
you've previously bought eBooks from us, or signed up for our
newsletter at www.apress.com or at a tradeshow. To be removed
from the Apress newsletter mailing list, you can unsubscribe
here: http://app.streamsend.com/private//6IK/
4qYC8Mw/unsubscribe/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info@??? with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A people that values its privileges above
its principles soon loses both.
    -- Dwight D. Eisenhower