[Hampshire] Icecast Streaming

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Icecast Streaming
Hello Folks.

Had some success with live streaming and thanks for the posts last year.
However, have hit a problem with VLC and icecast2. I currently have
icecast2 installed and running on an ubuntu server with a VLC client
running on a Lenny box on the same network. I can play an mp3 on the
lenny box using VLC but as soon as I check the settings box in the 'file
open' window, VLC refuses to play the file and hence there is no stream
to the icecast2 server.

Has anybody had and fixed this?

Could somebody supply a sample mrl for VLC that works with icecast2.

Also, the shout module is not installed on the ubuntu box. Is that a
problem for my setup?

TIA
Mike