Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Writing an Audio CD >64 minutes : possi…

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Writing an Audio CD >64 minutes : possible?
On 29/01/2011 16:06, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> Apparently the original CDs were going to be even smaller but some head
> honcho's wife at Sony wanted a specific pieces of music without having to swap
> a CD, so they added a few extra minutes to the standard (they could have added
> more as it turns out).

It was Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

It's a real pity that the sample rate was so fixed. I used to record
talking newspapers onto cassette - we could get a very reliable 90
minutes on each one. Several of our blind clients were asking for CD
versions, but even though we were just recording speech, so that a much,
much lower sample rate and in mono would have been fine, the 80-minute
limit mean that we often had to use 2 CDs rather than one cassette. The
march of progress is not always forwards!