Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu PC dropping network

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: jkj, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu PC dropping network
On Friday 25 February 2011 14:11:16 donhulio wrote:
> it seems to work ok transferring files if I watch a video it
> drops the network connection to my Xbox media centre after about 10
> minutes. From the Xbox MC I can reselect the Joggler and after a couple
> of minutes the share appears again.

A few obvious things...

Is any other equipment on the same network switch (assuming you have one)? If
so is that flakey too?

Have you tried changing the network cable?

Is the network card trying to autonegotiate and failing? (mii-tool will help
here)

Is it a well-supported card ? (the RTL-8169 for example is common but requires
forcing to get 1GBps connection).

If the hardware is ok, do any other services drop out?

Others will be better placed to give detailed advice on SAMBA.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
Lead Developer