Re: [Hampshire] Open/Libre Office

Author: David Rozzell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open/Libre Office
On Monday 28 Feb 2011, David Webb (NOC) wrote:
> I have just been sent a new password for the new OpenOffice.org site (I
> once contributed a couple of lines of java to solve a bug which annoyed
> me) - which has made me more conscious of the fact that we now have both
> OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
>
> It seems to be a waste of effort to have a split like this and I cannot
> find any discussion about the number of people who have moved across and
> the number who have stayed with OpenOffice. Without getting emotional
> about the role of Oracle, has anybody any feel of how this will develop?

I moved to LibreOffice shortly after the split when openSUSE made it available
in one of their repositories. OpenSUSE 11.4 comes out in March and will ship
with LibreOffice as standard rather than OpenOffice. I believe Ubuntu will be
doing the same for it's next release & I suspect lots more will follow,
especially as LibreOffice has more features. I expect it will develop quicker
than OpenOffice in the future too, due to the number of developers that have
moved to it and the widespread support it's receiving in the opensource
community.

David

--
"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop
into something we wouldn't want to meet." - Stephen Hawking

FLOSS - Not just for your teeth - Free Linux Open Source Software