Re: [Hampshire] Open/Libre Office

Author: alan c
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open/Libre Office
On 28/02/11 19:14, David Webb (NOC) wrote:

> It seems to be a waste of effort to have a split like this and I cannot find
> any discussion about the number of people who have moved across and the number
> who have stayed with OpenOffice. Without getting emotional about the role of
> Oracle, has anybody any feel of how this will develop?

Oracle did not play nice with the community and a large proportion of
developers left because of this. FLOSS only continues to exist in a
hostile environment because of the efforts made by people who put
ethics before other objectives.

There is such a lot of support for Libre Office that it seems to me
that, even without having FLOSS leanings I would want to move to it. I
will use it exclusively from Ubuntu 11.04 onwards.

Oracle will probably continue with most of the business related
support revenue that it has currently, but because of the world wide
movement towards FLOSS awareness which seems to be gathering pace, I
can guess that Oracle will see significant fall off of that revenue
with time.
Even now they must be looking at a very significant shortage of
developers.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user