[Hampshire] Crossover

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Crossover
>>How are you running Outlook 2007, I do not understand? Using Crossover or
Wine or what?<<

I have used WINE but Crossover is worth paying for, as a contribution is
made to the WINE project. I have tested all the possible Linux email
clients, but none of them matches Outlook for my needs. One aspect I
particularly like is the single .pst file which I keep in Dropbox. This
enables me to switch computers and carry on using my Outlook once Dropbox
has synchronised my .pst file. As an example, I have just rebooted my
desktop into XP as I need to run a windows application that will not run in
Crossover. This time I am posting this from Outlook 2007 in XP.

The only slight drawback is copying and pasting text between a Linux app and
a Windows app running in Crossover - you have to keep both apps open or you
lose the clipboard.

I run several MSW apps in Crossover as the Linux equivalents do not suit my
needs e.g. Quicken 2004. I also run IE7 which I need for a few sites, as IE
Tab for Firefox does not work in Linux.

I have recently returned to living in the UK - Port Solent - and will get to
a meeting when the ski season finishes. Incidentally, I am the founder of
http://groups.google.com/group/ <http://groups.google.com/group/pc-answers>
pc-answers which has a worldwide membership of 110. However, most of the
members are MSW users while a few of us also use Linux and Mac OSX. One
members runs a Hackintosh - non Apple hardware but Mac OSX.

I run a dual boot of XP and Macbuntu on my Macbook Pro notebook. One member
suggested that my Macbook has an identity crisis!

Mike