Re: [Hampshire] Introduction

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Introduction
>> I am currently trying to install V.Box on Ubuntu 10.10 and keep getting
the re-install option, I can't see that I have missed any of the
pre-requisites and I would like a pointer as to a likely direction for
trouble shooting.<<

Mike,

The simplest method is to download the appropriate package from the
Virtualbox site - in your case Ubuntu 10.10 ("Maverick Meerkat") 32 bit.

When you install the package, and installation is complete, you will again
see the option to install - ignore it and close.

You should then see the Vbox icon in System Tools

Using Synaptic, check to see that DKMS is installed, if not do so, to ensure
that the VirtualBox host kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp)
are properly updated if the Linux kernel version changes during the next
apt-get upgrade. For Debian it is available in Lenny backports and in the
normal repository for Squeeze and later. The dkms package can be installed
through the Synaptic Package manager or through the following command:

sudo apt-get install dkms

The main issue you may have is adding USB2 support for guest operating
systems - Ubuntu is the host. You can download the extension pack from the
VirtualBox Homepage. You may need to read up on support for USB 2.0
devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel cards.

I installed Vbox for Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit a couple of days ago. You need to
think about how much of your 2GB RAM you assign to your guest OS. If you
are installing XP you should get away with 512 for basic use. I am
fortunate to have a desktop with 6GB RAM.

Good luck,

Mike