Re: [Hampshire] Mobile Technology

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mobile Technology
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:03:05 -0000
"Mike Austin" <mja744@???> wrote:

> I have been using a Google mobile phone since they were first
> available in the US - now sold in the UK as the Nexus One. You will
> be aware that the operating system, Android, is a Linux system
> created by Google and now the most popular OS for small screen
> smartphones. I am running the latest version, Android Gingerbread.
> You may not be aware of Android Honeycomb, which has developed for
> the new generation of Tablets and Netbooks. I have been reviewing
> the recently unveiled range of Asus netbooks and tablets which use
> Android Honeycomb - impressive. As users become more familiar with
> Android - often not realising they are using Linux - they will want
> the same features on their PCs. Google intend to develop a Linux
> Distro for desktop PCs. That is when Linux will gain a real increase
> in usage by the general public.
>
> Today's Smartphone is really a mini computer with mobile phone
> capability.

<snipped>

> I forgot - I can also use my Smartphone as a mobile!!

I still don't need any thing more fancy than my Nokia 2760 mobile phone
with Tesco 'pay as you go'. It is switched off more than on and I
haven't topped it up for six months or so.

Having said that I quite like the look of the Asus netbook that
can split into tablet + keyboard but not at £500 or thereabouts. I
don't use my EeePC enough as it is.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid