[Hampshire] Mobile Technology

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Mobile Technology
I have been using a Google mobile phone since they were first available in
the US - now sold in the UK as the Nexus One. You will be aware that the
operating system, Android, is a Linux system created by Google and now the
most popular OS for small screen smartphones. I am running the latest
version, Android Gingerbread. You may not be aware of Android Honeycomb,
which has developed for the new generation of Tablets and Netbooks. I have
been reviewing the recently unveiled range of Asus netbooks and tablets
which use Android Honeycomb - impressive. As users become more familiar with
Android - often not realising they are using Linux - they will want the same
features on their PCs. Google intend to develop a Linux Distro for desktop
PCs. That is when Linux will gain a real increase in usage by the general
public.

Today's Smartphone is really a mini computer with mobile phone capability.

Yesterday I tested an interesting use of technology with the Android app,
"Latitude". I drove from Portsmouth to Egham, Nr Windsor. Before leaving I
sent an email invitation for the owner of the house to track my progress on
the internet.

With the GPS of my mobile sending my position, she could monitor my progress
on Google maps. The end result was a freshly boiled kettle on my arrival -
too early for a G&T.

Using my mobile, I have just checked in for my BA flight to Zurich tomorrow.
Furthermore I have downloaded my boarding pass which, using its barcode,
will take me through the various formalities before boarding the aircraft.

While skiing in Wengen, I will make use of the hotel's wifi to run Skype on
my mobile - my account gives me free calls to UK landlines.

In the mornings I am able to watch the BBC News and UK TV on my mobile, from
a Slingbox in my UK home. I can also use the SKY1 app to view Sky TV
schedules and send a signal to my Sky receiver to record programmes I wish
to watch on my return.

I forgot - I can also use my Smartphone as a mobile!!

Mike
Member - Free Software Foundation