Re: [Hampshire] Mobile Broadband routers (bryan hunt)

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mobile Broadband routers (bryan hunt)
I have to say that the reply by Bryan did seem to have a lot of
bitterness in it. That may well be down to personal experience.

I've been using a 3 mobile 3G dongle for over a year now. I pay £15.32
month for 15Gbytes of data. More than enough for me I can assure you.
I have two devices where I use the 3G sim card. They are still selling
the 15Gb package for £15.98. I generally download 3-4Gb a month, mostly
using iPlayer.

1) In the standard USB dongle.
2) In the MIFI device.

I use the second one when I want to connect more than one device over
3G. The MIFI unit gives me a wifi connection from the
PC/laptop/ipad/android tablet to the unit. Then up to 5 devices can use
the same 3G connection.

Problems?

-The signal is diabolical around Portobello Rd. The Vodafone signal is a
lot better.
- You have to modify the outgoing connection for email to route it via
your carrier. Otherwise the port is blocked. This is due to SPAM.

There is a page on UK2net's site that tells you what settings you have
to use for the different carriers.

Support?
Never needed any (So far, touch wood).

I tried mobile broadband a while ago with Vodafone. it was crap even on
Windows. Things have moved on a lot since then.

If you have the MIFI device you don't have to worry about PPP and all
that 'stuff'... Nice and simple really.

Just my 2p worth.
Stephen Davies