[Hampshire] aliasing domains in Debian Apache2

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] aliasing domains in Debian Apache2
I have successfully set up 3 virtual sites on my server startx.co.uk

one of these is http://startx.co.uk/KingsclereHistory

the content of this website was originally hosted elsewhere with the URL

http://kingsclere.org.uk/

but the site owner wanted to give up hosting it. I have now acquired
that domain name and the relevant files which I uploaded to my VPS and
set up so it can be accessed as startx.co.uk/KingsclereHistory.

I would like it to be possible for anyone using the original
kingsclere.org.uk URL to be automatically routed to the new URL.

Currently entering http://kingsclere.org.uk takes you to a zen holding
page but I hope I have modified things so that the IP address will be
the same as startx.co.uk once the change is propagated.

I have (once again) been trying to make sense of the apache2 rules and
am just as confused as when I tried to work out how to set up virtual
websites, I eventually sorted that out with help from hantsluggers.

There seem to be several ways of aliasing domains but I cannot sort out
which is the simplest, using a CGI redirect could work but I don't
really want people to see anything like a 401 error page before being
re-directed. It should be done seamlessly within apache if this is
possible.

Would setting up another virtual website called kingsclere.org.uk and
pointing the document root to that to the document root of
startx/KingsclerHistory work.

Many tips I found by searching the web assume use of the
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf file but debian doesn't use this by default.

Suggestions would be welcome please.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid