Re: [Hampshire] External Drive Permissions.

Author: bryan hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] External Drive Permissions.
On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 09:46 -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> I have a western digital hard drive attached to a usb port on my deb
> box. It mounts automagically on boot and I can access the file structure
> and read/write files from a windows samba client. However, when working
> on the Deb box I found the non-root users only had read permissions. So
> I changed the ownership of the device (which is mounted as
> /media/mybook) to my non-root user. Still cannot write to the external
> drive.
>
> Interestingly the mount point shows linked to /dev/sda1 when the
> properties of the device are checked. However, when I look in /dev the
> fdd1 is mapped to sda1??
>
> What have I got wrong on the Deb box please?
>
> TIA
> Mike
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Test it locally

sudo mkdir /tmp/extdrive

#this means mount the block device /dev/sda1 at location /tmp/extdrive,
#read-write permissions with user id of 900
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/extdrive -o rw,uid=900

#Same thing but with your own uid, backticks mean run this command + get
#the result..
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/extdrive -o rw,uid=`id -u`

Changing ownership or permissions of the /dev block device is not the
solution.