Re: [Hampshire] External Drive Permissions.

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] External Drive Permissions.
On Wednesday 23 Mar 2011, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> I have a western digital hard drive attached to a usb port on my deb
> box. It mounts automagically on boot and I can access the file structure
> and read/write files from a windows samba client. However, when working
> on the Deb box I found the non-root users only had read permissions. So
> I changed the ownership of the device (which is mounted as
> /media/mybook) to my non-root user. Still cannot write to the external
> drive.
>
> Interestingly the mount point shows linked to /dev/sda1 when the
> properties of the device are checked. However, when I look in /dev the
> fdd1 is mapped to sda1??

I think the mount options are typically "user,noauto" so it doesn't auto mount
until requested but when it is requested the user who mounts it owns it and
can mount/umount it in the first place.

On a modern Debian system with a full-fat desktop I think this is
automatically taken care for you.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux users hate mixed case names, yet Linux supports it.
Windows users love mixed case names, but Windows doesn't support it.
    -- Andrew Tridgell