Re: [Hampshire] DVI to HDMI for PC

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Rob Malpass
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVI to HDMI for PC
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 13:03, Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:
> Has anyone had any problems with DVI to HDMI connection for PCs?
>
> I'm considering getting myself a new huge monitor.   Some have standard VGA,
> some don't - and I certainly don't want to pay extra for VGA.   All have
> HDMI.   My graphics card has a DVI output so really all I need is a £5 DVI
> to HDMI adapter or cable and job done.
>
> However it got me thinking about times before when I've, for instance, tried
> S-Video to use a huge TV with the PC and it really struggled to keep up.

AFAIK: HDMI is a superset of DVI with audio connections as well as
digital video and different connectors. The important point is that
the digital signal for the video is identical over hdmi as it is over
dvi, so all that is required in an adapter is a straight-through pin
rearrangement. There should be no issues with an HDMI adapter that you
wouldn't have if you were driving direct to a DVI connection on the
same monitor.

--
Regards,
    The Honeymonster aka Daniel Llewellyn