Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:11:53 +0100
"Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> Good luck with your travels in desktop environment land...

well the first attempt was a failure, I tried running
the openSuSE-Gnome-3 live CD on my backup system and initially it
wouldn't boot at all (and it won't boot at all on my, admittedly
elderly, Sony Vaio laptop) but after modifying the kernel settings to
safe mode it eventually started loading only to end up telling me

"your system (graphics hardware or driver) is not capable of delivering
the full GNOME 3 experience"

then defaulting to the fallback mode.

I can't remember what graphics card is in that system but again it
must be fairly old as it has a win2K licence sticker on the side of
the case.

So unless the Fedora live CD will run that will be the end of my
experimenting with gnome 3 as I am not going to re-boot my main system
to try it out.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid