Re: [Hampshire] Kmail

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kmail
Leo <linux@???> wrote:
> Does anyone use Kmail? If so can you explain to me what "Servside
> subscription" and "Local subscription" are on an IMAP account? Despite
> much googling I still haven't found a decent explanation. I know that
> it's possible to cache email from an IMAP account locally, for reading
> when disconnected and I presume one of the subscriptions represents
> that. I just don't know which, and what the other is for.

I think the difference is that 'server subscriptions' are managed by
the server, whilst 'local subscriptions' are managed by the client.
i.e., if you add a server subscription, then that subscription will
take effect for all clients that you use to connect to that server.

However, information about local subscriptions is only held on the
client.

I think, but that's me guessing based on what I've found.

It's not so much to do with caching, but with what folders you see
and get notified about when new mail arrives.

If you had thousands of folders, then you'd probably only want to
see a few - you wouldn't want to get notified any time something new
appeared in any folder on the server.

I think.

You could try this out if you had multiple mail clients, and seeing
if changing server subscriptions affects all clients but local
subscriptions only affects KMail.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.