Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations for a PPPoE Router for VDSL

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations for a PPPoE Router for VDSL
On 13 May 2011 16:49, Ian Grody <lug@???> wrote:
> Your safest bet would be a routerboard, either the 750G or the 450G.
> http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=194 is probably the best place to get
> them from.
>
> As I understand it, version 5 of RouterOS supports mini-jumbos over PPP,
> allowing full 1500 MTU frame, yes, over PPPoE :-) (1508)
>
> They do NATless, as well as can native or tunnel IPv6.
>
> They are not for the faint hearted, non-techie though.

Thanks for the suggestion Ian, looks interesting! Definitely for techies :-)

> The only thing it falls on, it is 5 ports. However, it will happy go lucky
> VLANs etc.

I think 4 ports in addition to the uplink port would be a minimum. The
reason for the extra ports is so we can use our public IP range.

> However, failing that, the Draytek Vigor 2820 series might be of interest as
> that has pretty much everything all minus the 8 ports.

Thanks, I'm was looking at something in the Draytek Vigor range - lets see.

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi
(1869-1948)