Re: [Hampshire] Wireless Repeaters

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless Repeaters
Hello Rob.

I have a Linksys wrt 54 and wap54 acting in the mode i think you are trying

> However, and I believe this may be crucial, I have not found anywhere
> how to set this up on its own. For example, with it configured, I
> would guess I need to unplug it, relocate it such it's equidistant
> between the wireless router and the client machine, plug it in to the
> power (no LAN cable) and all will be well. Is this not so?

The wap54 is connected to the LAN. (configured as you describe) the wrt
is connected to an xbox :) via an ethernet cable all devices are on the
same ip address scheme and mask. No DHCP running

> 2) The device has several "modes" of which I've set it to Wireless
> Repeater and configured it with exactly the same parameters (same
> name, channel, SSID, pre-shared key) etc as the wireless router. Is
> this right or should I have called it mynet2 which extends mynet as
> opposed to mynet (mynet being the name of the original wifi network)?

I use the same SSID for all devices. Its puzzled me because you cant
tell if a device is connecting to the WAP or WRT. Doesn't seem toeffect
the price of chips tho'.

> 3) As it wasn't working, I recently reconnected it up in the study via
> lan cable and was dismayed to see it asking me to go through the
> wizard. I would presume that all the time it had been relocated
> without the LAN cable, it had been wanting this too - am I wrong?

Not sure about this one

> 4) I guess in summary my question is: do wireless repeaters require a
> cabled connection to the LAN or do they take the existing wifi
> connection and boost it? This is what I asked of the Novatech
> employee before buying it and he was convinced it would do the trick -
> but then again I guess he was a salesman!

I would say a 40 quid one would need LAN

The Linksys website has some good info on setting up this sort of thing.
sorry I am at work and dont have the link :(

> Any advice very welcome.

HTH
Mike