[Hampshire] Replication speed - rsync v robocopy

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Replication speed - rsync v robocopy
Hi all

A bit of expertise on rsync (and seemingly its windows equivalent robocopy)
please. I'm trying to build a mirror of this huge store of files I have -
currently ~750Gb so any differential copying method will save a huge amount
of time as each file is around 10Gb.

After (shamefully admits years of being too frightened by the syntax!) I've
just found out that

rsync -avz source dest

is all I need. Therein lies a bit of my concern - I have two nagging
problems:

1) rsync is much faster than robocopy. Also does anyone know of a good GUI
for rsync? With around 100Gb to replicate each time I do it - I could use
a progress indicator (beyond using the --progress switch).

2) The files are being created on an XP machine and the filesystem on source
and dest is ntfs. As such I'm getting files (when I see them in Nautilus
etc) as

"An /Example/ Of/ Something.mpg"

If rsync is copying these, do I have anything to worry about when I put the
dest back into a windows machine?

Cheers

Rob