Re: [Hampshire] Replication speed - rsync v robocopy

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Replication speed - rsync v robocopy
** Rob Malpass <linux@???> [2011-08-07 12:42]:
> A bit of expertise on rsync (and seemingly its windows equivalent robocopy)
> please. I'm trying to build a mirror of this huge store of files I have -
> currently ~750Gb so any differential copying method will save a huge amount
> of time as each file is around 10Gb.
>
> After (shamefully admits years of being too frightened by the syntax!) I've
> just found out that
>
> rsync -avz source dest
>
> is all I need. Therein lies a bit of my concern - I have two nagging
> problems:
>
> 1) rsync is much faster than robocopy. Also does anyone know of a good GUI
> for rsync? With around 100Gb to replicate each time I do it - I could use
> a progress indicator (beyond using the --progress switch).
>
> 2) The files are being created on an XP machine and the filesystem on source
> and dest is ntfs. As such I'm getting files (when I see them in Nautilus
> etc) as
>
> "An /Example/ Of/ Something.mpg"
>
> If rsync is copying these, do I have anything to worry about when I put the
> dest back into a windows machine?

** end quote [Rob Malpass]

You may like to take a look at Unison [1], there are Windows binaries available
[2] which are linked from the main site. I used to use it for syncing my photos
on a Windows machine to a Linux server overs SSH. There was a slight issue with
needing an ssh.exe file which can be downloaded [3], and if you are using an
alternative port for SSH (as I do) you need a quick tweak of the config file
manually. It uses the Rsync libraries, but I've found it quite handy for this
backup even now I've moved the master to Linux. I tend to use the GUI for this
case, but there are CLI options if you prefer.

[1] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
[2] http://alan.petitepomme.net/unison/index.html
[3] http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/unison-ssh.html

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: