Re: [Hampshire] error competition

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] error competition
** Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???> [2011-08-19 11:01]:
> On 19 August 2011 10:31, Michael Pavling <pavling@???> wrote:
> > On 19 August 2011 10:21, Edward Beckmann <edward.beckmann@???>
> > wrote:
> > > Bonus marks for anyone brave / foolhardy enough to say "I did ..." as
> > > opposed to "I knew someone who did ..."
> >
> > I have flicked the off-switch (pesky old-style toggles) on an AS/400
> > crossing my legs while sitting at a terminal in the computer room...
>
> In the 'no-keystrokes involved' category I can add causing a custom array
> processor the size of a single wardrobe to shut down by standing too close
> to it and blocking tha airflow through its cooling fans.

** end quote [Victor Churchill]

Also in the 'no-keystroke involved' category I managed to crash 3 computers
merely by standing close(ish) to them.

This was on my degree and we were learning 68000 assembler on Sinclair QLs. The
one I was working on crashed for some reason (just stopped working while I was
typing in iirc). The lecturer told me to go and stand behind one of the other
students as we were at capacity of available computers. Moments after I got
there this QL crashed too, so we were both asked to go and stand behind
different students. The other one carried on working fine, but the one I stood
near crashed. At which point the other student got to join another of the still
working QLs and it was suggested that since it was pretty close to the end of
the lesson I could leave early!!

Oddly these days I seem to have the opposite effect. I often get to a customer
and find they can no longer replicated the problem that was easy to reproduce
before I got there!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: