Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux

Author: John Cooper
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux
On 29/08/11 19:57, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:25:21 +0000, phillip.chandler@??? said:
>
>> Call me old fashioned, but Id rather keep all my personal stuff backed
>> up on a usb stick.
>
> I'd probably call you naive rather than old fashioned.

I'd add paranoid as well. Everytime you go on the internet your activity
is logged, every email you send is stored, your mobile phone logs your
location and CCTV cameras capture your image. This is the world we live
in and is not necessarily a bad thing. For the majority of people, your
information is mundane and of little use so it begs the question what
are you doing that requires top secrecy?

I use a Linux desktop at work and I was told to "share" my calendar
which would normally mean using Outlook. So I downloaded the Google sync
for Outlook and can carry on using Thunderbird linked to Google
calendar. My new Samsung Galaxy SII has the option to sync to MS
Exchange which means all my appointments appear on my phone. And all for
free and backed up in case I lose or change my phone.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk