Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux
On Monday 29 August 2011 20:05:39 e-mail phillip.chandler wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 18:57, Keith Edmunds <kae@???> wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:25:21 +0000, phillip.chandler@??? said:
> > > Call me old fashioned, but Id rather keep all my personal stuff backed
> > > up on a usb stick.
> >
> > I'd probably call you naive rather than old fashioned.
>
> Unfortunately Im gonna have to get you to expand on that ? :-))) Why am I
> being naive ?

Well, my first thought was that you can't stop your USB stick from
being stolen. Most data leaks we hear about in the news come from
people leaving data devices in a taxi, or on a train.

Your house can get broken into, or burn down, or get washed away in
a flood (depending on where you live).

The summary of a talk I gave the other month at Surrey LUG, was basically
that yes, using Amazon cloud to back up my data doesn't guarantee that
Amazon won't lose it, but both the Cloud and my house has to be destroyed
simultaneously in order for me to lose my data.

(and anything I really don't want people to see is encrypted).

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.