Re: [Hampshire] Old Dell dying

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: jacqui.caren, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Old Dell dying
On 2 September 2011 16:00, Jacqui Caren-home <jacqui.caren@???> wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 11:55, Lisi wrote:
>>
>> On Friday 02 September 2011 09:43:34 Roger Munford wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder how many usable PCs get abandoned
>>> when this happens
>>
>> Not as many, I would think, as get abandoned because viruses have slowed
>> them
>> down. :-(
>
> ++
>
> I had a friend over this week - her windows vista laptop (high end job for
> its day)
> took well over 20 minutes to boot to the vista login screen.
>
> Got rid of some crap but a complete re-install was the only sensible
> solution.
>
> FYI: She was going to replace a relatively new high end machine with a
> ~700UKP "lappie".

I had a friend who had a laptop that was being very slow.
I diagnosed the problem to be a faulty HD. (fatal Sector read errors)
and it only had 512 KB of RAM, so I suggested upgrading to 1Gig or
2Gig and gave them the cost of parts. (about £70-100 depending on what
parts I used)
They decided to buy a new laptop for £500 and gave me the old one.
My laptop broke recently (a motherboard fault) so I repaired their old
one and I am using it now.
Unfortunately, I could not transfer my old laptop HD and RAM to their
old one, because the specs were different.
This just goes to show that people just like to use new stuff, and any
slight problem with an old device gives them an excuse to replace it
with the latest and best one.