[Hampshire] natty - 2 weird things

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] natty - 2 weird things
Hi all

For reasons of speed, I've not had chance to google this thoroughly so I do
apologise if this is a well known bug - well 2 bugs actually...

I'm running Ubuntu natty inside Virtualbox (host is Windows 7 fwiw). 2
problems:

1) For some reason, the top bar (whatever it's called - the one with
Accessories Places System etc) changes from the usual brownish background to
greyish before my very eyes - and I promise I have not setup a different
theme!

2) Far more serious - I'm making changes to the network configuration (I
want a static ip address and its default is dhcp) using network connections
on the system menu and either

            2a) It's disregarding the changes I make i.e. I change the ip
address, then I

                        do a ifconfig or cat /etc/resolv.conf and see no
changes!

            2b) I give it perfectly acceptable ip address, subnet mask,
gateway and

                        it still can't find the network.

It's probably something obvious - so as I say - apologies if so - but if
anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Rob