[Hampshire] Blu Ray and Linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Blu Ray and Linux
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with using Blu Ray on Linux?
Blu Ray is a bit of a dead duck. It does not suit my use case at all well.

I wish to have a server on my home network that acts as the media
store. It will have inputs from DVB-S, DVB-T, DVDs, Youtube, iplayer.
I have tested all those and they work well. My next thought is Blu Ray
input, much like I do with DVD.
I place DVD in the server, the server caches the DVD contents, and
then I put the DVD in the attic.
The server can then play the contents of that DVD any time I wish onto
my TV. No need to search through cupboards for the DVD I want.
After searching the web, I find that Linux support for Blu-Ray movies
is somewhat limited, and might need special firmware for the Blu-Ray
drive.
I cannot seem to find out what the latest situation is. I was hoping
to find something like:
1) Get a blu-ray drive of one of the following models, and Linux will
work with it.
or
2) Get any blu-ray drive and it now works with Linux.

Does anyone actually have a blu-ray drive and have it working in Linux
to watch movies on their Linux PC?

My DVD-ROM drive is failing, so I need to buy a replacement soon, but
was wondering if I should buy a Blu-Ray one, that can play
blu-ray/dvd. I don't need to write any CD/DVDs.

Kind Regards

James

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???