Re: [Hampshire] Firewall distributions

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewall distributions
On 15/09/11 17:22, Ian Park wrote:
> On 14/09/11 17:09, Ian Grody wrote:
>> On Wednesday 14 September 2011 15:09:57 Ian Park wrote:
>>> I've been running firewall distributions for a good few years now on an
>>> old Compaq low profile box (Pentium III, 500 MHz) which I bought from
>>> Jamie's. I started with Smoothwall v2.0, and added extra RAM when I
>>> upgraded to Smoothwall v3.0; it now has 512MB RAM and a 6.3GB HDD.
>>>
>>> About a year ago, an article in Linux Format caught my eye, and I
>>> decided to give IPCop a go - we have a fair few visitors over the year,
>>> and it's handy to be able to give them internet access via a wireless
>>> access point without having to let them loose to roam on my home
>>> network. IPCop's blue interface looked like the answer, but I've had no
>>> end of grief trying to get the WLANAP add-on for IPCop to work. I've
>>> tried a total of five different wireless LAN cards; IPCop v1.9.20
>>> recognises only one of them (it uses the RaLink 2561 chipset), and even
>>> with that one, when I installed the appropriate version of the add-on it
>>> threw a wobbly at the end of the installation.
>>>
>>> To add to the fun, the WLANAP add-on doesn't work any more since the
>>> upgrade from 1.9.19 to 1.9.20 - the upgrade included a new kernel
>>> version, 2.6.32-4, and the latest version of wlanap-ipcop (3.0.0-c6)
>>> matches kernel version 2.6.32-3...
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest an alternative route to where I want to be (i.e. the
>>> equivalent of IPCop with red, green and blue interfaces), please? I
>>> suppose in the end I could just stick a wired network card in the IPCop
>>> box and hook up to an external wireless access point, but that would
>>> mean using another power socket, and I already use about 18 in this room...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help
>>>
>>> Ian
>>

>> You could always chuck out that horrid Ralink chip, chuck in an Atheros.
>> Atheros and intel along w/ Zydas tend to have some of the best support for
>> using them as wifi softAP's.
>>
>> I'd suggest using an Atheros (5000 series chips are most supported impo) wifi,
>> then use pfSense as your firewall/router. 2.0 is still in RC state, but gets
>> regular updates and can do everything you are wanting and a tonne more. I have
>> this running on a P3 533MHz box w/ 512MB and it does the job for what it's
>> intended. Which handles Wifi (via atheros wifi), another wifi through AP
>> hardwired, two LANs, a few VLANs & VPN.
>>
>> Zeroshell was gearing towards support for wifi config via web-gui, but not sure
>> how they progressed as I stopped using this for pfSense 2 years ago. It looked
>> promising though (and this one is linux based). It did work however if you
>> enabled it under the hood.
>>
>> You could always use RouterOS for x86 - You would need to check what wifi cards
>> this supports, atheros I know are one lot. This OS is intended for RouterBoard
>> family of routers - But Mikrotik have nicely made a download available to
>> install on PC. It is a trial, however, but getting a license to use it isn't
> [...]

OK, I've now got the little Compaq box set up with IPFire, using the one
and only wireless card which is acknowledged by setup: the Tenda W54P
with the Ralink RT2561 chipset. Setting up the blue interface via the
web management interface of IPFire seemed to work OK, *but* when I tried
using it with my netbook (having switched off the wireless access point
I normally use), on the first try Network Manager went round in a loop,
presumably trying to find an IP address. After a bit of messing around
setting up the proxy for the blue interface, I managed to get a working
internet connection - modified rapture ;)

I now have four more-or-less spare wireless network cards...

Ian

--
Ian Park
17 Pyle Hill