Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones
** John Cooper <lug@???> [2011-10-03 18:05]:
> On 03/10/11 17:24, Paul Tansom wrote:
> >A bit of a vague subject, but I'm looking at the possibility of finally getting
> >a smartphone and at the moment the HTC Wildfire S and the Samsung Galaxy Ace
>
> There is very little between them so I'd go for 2.3 (gingerbread) on
> the HTC.
> Ace is supposed to be upgradeable but check this. I've got a Samsung
> Galaxy S2 which is excellent but I would be just as happy with
> the HTC equivalent.

** end quote [John Cooper]

Thanks for the info everybody.

From the details I got from the Phones4U store (euch, their adverts make me
cringe!) the Galaxy now seems to ship with 2.3 pre-loaded. The Desire S looks
good, but I doubt I'll stretch to that right now, my current usage doesn't
justify a contract, so upgrading on Orange and then likely switching to
GiffGaff is on the cards - so £150 for the phone and £60 per year in topups
should do it (more than I currently topup, but to get the package benefits and
allowing for increased usage it seems fair). It is still comfortably below the
cheapest contract and would supply more minutes, etc. I may well wait for a bit
to see if the new iPhone has an impact on pricing, but somehow I doubt it -
well, little impact except on older iPhone models and I don't want one of
those!