Re: [Hampshire] Domestic ADSL ISPs

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Domestic ADSL ISPs
On Saturday 08 October 2011 02:59:38 Martin N wrote:
> Less prone as in less reliable on BT servicing the line if anything
> goes wrong and
> the included wait?

Less prone to BRAS/speed drops due to random resyncs, better equipment and
management of in the exchange, and usually upto twice the performance gain
over 21CN lines. BE annex M doesn't crap out your download as much for
noticeable gain of upload. 21CN Annex M is usually only any benefit for those
close to exchange.

Ex. 21CN via BT - 6M down 1M up | BE on same run of wires, modem etc. 12M down
2.1M up. The 21CN's fastest ever sync was 10M down 1024kbps up. The BE is
using Annex M, 21CN on Annex M was 5M down and 1.2M up. If i turn BE to Annex
A, I will get upto 16 down and 2.3up. Line length is 2.1KM

> DLM?
> what is that?
> Download Load Management? as a guess.

Dynamic Line Management. What causes your BRAS rate to drop like a lead
balloon when your line resyncs and keeps you and a much slower rate than your
sync speed, sometimes forcing a 20Meg synched line to work at 2/3Meg. Then
spend weeks for it to come back to real-life.