Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image

Author: Gordon Scott
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image
On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 23:37 +0100, Vic wrote:
> > I'm curious how this happened. Obviously the poor guy made a mistake,
> > but even then this seems an extraordinary sequence to happen without
> > some alarms going off.
>
> The tools on OSX aren't great. Using the installation disk as a rescue
> disk seems to be the norm. A few too many agreements[1] and you've
> reinitialised the HDD...

Right .. the automatic Yes/Next response.
After a while you realise you didn't even read the question.

One of the reasons I always liked Unix/Linux/etc., is that it does what
you ask. Of course you very quickly learn to ask carefully when it
matters!

> > People tell me how user-friendly Apple is
>
> People tell me the same thing. As a Mac user, I disagree. The lack of a
> hierarchical menu system means you either need to put everything in the
> dock (which gets cluttered *real* quick) or you have to remember the name
> of the app so you can find it in Spotlight.

Win7 does something a little similar, though it has a bit of hierarchy.
I find that just tolerable, but miss being able to categorise as I want,
and keeping the menus to no more than a screenful.

> The only alternative I've
> found is to open yet another Finder window (because the last one is buried
> under your open windows somewhere) and hope you can find your way to the
> program's location (they're not all in Applications...)

Wouldn't know about the Mac finder, but I cannot get to grips with the
Win7 search tool. Cygwin and/or Msys are sanity savers for me. It's
_soo_ nice to be back using Linux properly again instead of the office
Windoze convention. Now I again use it only when I have no choice.

> [1] OSX is much like Windows for giving you bazillions of windows where
> you have to click "OK" or "agree" or somesuch. I doubt anyone but me
> actually reads any of those...

I kicked Skype into touch for their agreement, but it seems more
reasonable now, so I might even give it a try. Adobe is the bunch I
hate. Seems like 50 different EULAs `available' for anything.
I could be dead before I've read them all.

Gordon.

--
Gordon Scott            www.gscott.co.uk
                        01256-476547