Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image

Author: Michael-John Turner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 04:45:50PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> If Next had only separated the software from the hardware so that you
> could install NextStep OS on any desktop PC, that would have been a
> great platform.
> Unfortunately, you could not use the NextStep OS unless you also
> purchased the NextStep hardware.

They did with later releases (and towards the end, even stopped making
hardware, becoming a purely software company). NeXTSTEP 3.1 and later ran
on x86, SPARC and PA-RISC systems. Back in the mid-90s I ran 3.3 on a
greybox 486/33 (albeit in mono because it only had 8MiB RAM!). I have a
correctly-specced SPARCstation 20 that I've been wanting to install it on
for years, just not had the spare tuits...

And, of course, OS X is really just a continuation of NeXTSTEP.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner
 mj@???      <>     http://mjturner.net/