Re: [Hampshire] power problem

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: jan, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] power problem
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 at 09:49:42AM -0000, Jan Henkins wrote:
> Hello Owain,
>
> Yep, that sounds like a borked battery. I find that lappy batteries can
> start giving problems almost from the get-go, but a life-span from around
> 18-24 months seems to be the norm. It's inconvenient to say the least, but
> luckily Eee batteries are readily available. A quick look on Amazon seems
> like depending on your model, a battery should cost between £26-£34 (or
> around that). I'm sure that you can most probably find cheaper "unbranded"
> batteries elsewhere, bit then again I fully believe that you get what you
> pay for in this case... :-)

I'd agree, my Novatech V13's battery lasted about 18 months then
died. Li batteries have good charge densities but don't last that
long unless they are charged and discharged evenly (apparently).
Yesterday Novatech sent the replacement I ordered and it's now
working perfectly on battery again. I must be more careful to
discharge to 50% and recharge it more often, and not store it
at maximum charge. Apparently Li batteries like to be discharged
more often but less deeply than older technologies.

> On Tue, December 6, 2011 08:02, Owain Clarke wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone would mind commenting on a problem? I noticed
> > that recently my Asus Eee has only been getting up to about 65% of
> > charge, and I assumed this is a battery problem (I think it's about
> > 18 months old). But then I have noticed a couple of times, that
> > even with a reasonable amount of charge, if I unplug the mains
> > charger, the computer immediately switches off, so I wondered
> > whether there is a more general power problem, or whether that could
> > just be indicative of a naff battery. It also sometimes switches
> > off when it's suspended, even though the battery appears to have
> > quite a bit of charge left.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jan Henkins
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason
not to give it.
    -- Agatha Christie

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???