Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers
On Thursday 22 December 2011 21:28:15 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Right or
> wrong, justified or not, that's reality.

Speaking personally, that jars considerably less than modern teenager-speak
for contact lenses.

To me, a "contact" is either a person with whom I in contact, or a person with
whom I wish to be in contact, or something that enables electrically charged
wires to meet and communicate. To my granddaughter it is a miniature
spectacle lens that you wear in your eye.

Even the Académie Francaise is in the process of not being able to hold the
breach.

And don't get me started on monstrosities like television and beefburger.

C'est la vie. Language is a living entity. I am just in the process of
reading Chaucer - in translation. I can't understand a large part of the
original: yet his English is the ancestor of ours. Language changes with
time and space. It is not immutable. That is what makes it so interesting.

Lisi

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???