[Hampshire] Unity with dual monitors

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Unity with dual monitors
Has anyone got Unity working with dual monitors, and if so how. I've done some
searching and only found references to people that have done it with no
indication of how! I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 and, although the displays settings
allows me to enable and set a resolution for the second monitor it complains
that my desktop doesn't have the correct resolution when I apply the changes.
The AMD (ATI) driver has settings for dual screens, but they are greyed out
because I only have one desktop. It was so much easier in Gnome 2! I'm getting
the feeling we are, at least temprorarily heading back to the late 90s and
manually hacking configuration files for Unity - not that I mind that I'm
always doing it with my servers, but when you have a mix of GUI, CLI and auto
configuration changes things never work together well :(