Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage
On 27/12/2011 16:35, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm wondering if I'm "missing a trick" here - perhaps someone can help...
>
> I have a pretty big (already 2TB and likely to be nearer 4TB+ by the time I've finished) media library (all mpgs) - how should I be making this available over my network? Does anyone know of a device
> that will allow (for example) 6 USB devices (all HDDs) to be connected and shared as if they were one? Googling reveals something called a Belkin network usb hub but the reviews are awful.
>
> I know I could contemplate the cloud here to keep this lot for me - but this is:
>
> a) going to cost a lot and

Hard disk space is insanely expensive right now. My 2TB egogreen's were ~50UKP each but I have been quoted something like 250UKP each for a pack of six and
there is a waiting list.

> I can't be the only one with a huge DVD and video library but the majority of drives I've seen on the high street are 2-3TB.

Dunno if it is me but manyTB for home use no longer sounds overkill.

The one thing I would recommend is to use software raid - hardware raid is good and fast but recovery can be a real PITA
when a no longe rin production or under warrantly raid card goes belly up and trashes your array.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???