Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage

Author: Leo
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage
As a counter, I would not advise RAID for this (assuming we're talking about
RAID1 or better, rather than RAID0). It will protect against hdd failure but
that's all. It won't protect against an accidental delete or a data error when
writing to the disks (as happened to me). If you want backup I think you're
better off having a "normal" backup from one set of disks in the computer to
the other set (in the same computer) that you would have used for RAID. That
way you still protect against disk failure but also protect against other
problems. As these are mainly media files they shouldn't change much so the
backups shouldn't take up much more space that the original files.

However an advantage of RAID over backup that springs to mind is that recovery
should be quicker. I.e. swap the duff disk and wait. As opposed swap the duff
disk and possibly restore everything depending on your exact setup.

To answer your original question I use a netgear stora that my server syncs to
nightly. The stora may not be big enough for your requirements though.

Leo

> On 27/12/2011 16:35, Rob Malpass wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm wondering if I'm "missing a trick" here - perhaps someone can help...
> >
> > I have a pretty big (already 2TB and likely to be nearer 4TB+ by the time

I've finished) media library (all mpgs) - how should I be making this
available over my network? Does anyone know of a device
> > that will allow (for example) 6 USB devices (all HDDs) to be connected and

shared as if they were one? Googling reveals something called a Belkin network
usb hub but the reviews are awful.

> > I know I could contemplate the cloud here to keep this lot for me - but

this is:

> > a) going to cost a lot and
>
> Hard disk space is insanely expensive right now. My 2TB egogreen's were

~50UKP each but I have been quoted something like 250UKP each for a pack of
six and
> there is a waiting list.
>
> > I can't be the only one with a huge DVD and video library but the majority

of drives I've seen on the high street are 2-3TB.

> Dunno if it is me but manyTB for home use no longer sounds overkill.
>
> The one thing I would recommend is to use software raid - hardware raid is

good and fast but recovery can be a real PITA
> when a no longe rin production or under warrantly raid card goes belly up

and trashes your array.